Bongo Rx Sleep Therapy Device
Bongo Rx Sleep Therapy EPAP Device for Mild to Moderate OSA and Snoring
The Bongo RX is an Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) therapy device for mild to moderate Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) and snoring. This reusable nasal EPAP device is indicated for use in patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea who prefer them to PAP devices, who do not respond to, are not appropriate candidates for, or who fail treatment attempts with CPAP.
The Bongo RX device consists of a conjoined set of soft nasal EPAP valves inserted in the nares creating back pressure on exhalation, making it a potentially viable alternative to PAP therapy for patients with mild-to-moderate OSA. The portability and usability of the Bongo Rx are its key differentiating factors when compared to other EPAP devices. Bongo Rx Sleep Therapy device works by creating resistance on exhale of breath.
During inhalation, small valves open to allow you to inhale normally through the device. When nasal dilation is increased, the inhalation capacity is likewise increased. During exhalation, the valves restrict expiratory flow of exhaled air through specifically designed vent holes to generate EPAP (Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure), which significantly expands the airway. Nasal dilation coupled with EPAP has a significant impact on the functionality of the airway during sleep.
Please Note: This device will NOT work effectively if you have an AHI greater than 30 (more than 30 episodes an hour) which is referred to as Severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- FDA cleared and TGA registered for treating mild to moderate OSA and snoring
- Resistance Between Theravent Max and Provent. Studies show the treatment efficacy is equivalent to Provent*
- Starter Kit includes all 4 sizes, headgear, and travel case
- Patients should purchase a starter kit to determine the right size then purchase a replenishment pack in their correct size.
- Four soft silicon nasal seal sizes included in Starter Kit to accommodate most nasal structures.
- Easy to use, requires no power supply, eliminates the use of a CPAP machine/CPAP mask or tubing, and is perfect for traveling and camping
- Supplemental lifestyle option for your compliant CPAP patients that travel frequently.
- For non-compliant CPAP patients, this device provides a patient-friendly treatment option to get them re-engaged in treating OSA.
- Reusable, lasts for 90 nights of therapy.
- Designed, molded, and assembled in the USA
Optional Headgear Use the comfortable headgear that is included with the Bongo Rx Starter Kit. If the patient is afraid that the nasal seals might fall out when they are asleep or patient is a restless sleeper, the headgear strap provided with the device offers a more secure fit by reducing the possibility of the seals shifting. The headgear is NOT required to use this device however, it will assist you in securing a tight seal.
How does Bongo Rx work?
Bongo Rx has soft silicone nasal pillows that form a seal just inside the nasal openings. It is an Expiratory Positive Airway Pressure (EPAP) device and works as follows:
- During inhalation, small valves open to allow natural breathing through the device.
- During exhalation, the valves close, which directs exhaled air through small vent holes to generate EPAP, this keeps your airway open until you inhale again – thereby reducing the effects of OSA.
The two primary mechanisms designed in Bongo are expanding the nares increasing the volume inhalation capacity and creating EPAP during exhalation acting as a pneumatic splint inflating the airway in much the same way CPAP does.
How is Bongo Rx different than Provent Sleep Apnea Therapy?
While both devices produce EPAP, there are several key differences. The Bongo Rx has soft, silicone nasal seals instead of an adhesive seal. It is also reusable. Bongo Rx acts as a nasal dilator. Bongo Rx comes in 4 different sizes. The Bongo Rx has both lower inspiratory and expiratory resistance.
What types of patients may benefit from the Bongo Sleep Apnea Therapy Device?
- If you have mild to moderate OSA, but are non-compliant with CPAP and looking for a user-friendly option, The Bongo sleep apnea therapy device may be just what you need.
- If you are compliant with CPAP, but would like to have an alternative CPAP therapy option for use while traveling, camping, at home, or any place electricity may not be available, Bongo Rx will fit the bill.
- Newly diagnosed mild to moderate OSA patients without significant co-morbidities.
Will you need a prescription for the Bongo Rx?
No, you do not require a prescription for the Bongo Rx. Please consult with your physician to see if Bongo Rx is right for you.
How to determine the correct size for the Bongo Rx?
The Bongo Rx All Sizes Starter Kit includes all 4 sizes and allows the patient to take their time at home finding the size that fits them best. We recommend that you try all four sizes before selecting your final size.
Has BongoRX been clinically tested?
Yes, clinical testing was conducted to demonstrate the safety and effectiveness of the Bongo Rx and testing was reviewed by the FDA. Results demonstrated that the Apnea-Hypopnea Index (AHI) was significantly reduced while using the Bongo Rx compared to the patients’ baseline diagnostic. There were no serious adverse events.
How long will it take to get used to Bongo Rx ?
Like other EPAP devices, Bongo Rx may take a few nights to get used to. Remove the device if you wake up during the night and feel uncomfortable. This may occur for 1-2 weeks until you become accustomed with wearing the device, but will feel less invasive through consistent use.
What’s included with Bongo Rx Starter Kit?
- Soft silicon nasal seals in Small, Med, Large and Extra-Large sizes.
- travel case
- drying stand
- instructions manual
- If you are a CPAP dealer or Sleep Diagnostic Group in Australia interested in stocking the Bongo Rx Sleep Therapy Device, please contact us to discuss your requirements. email@example.com | 1300 767 279
- Customers looking to purchase a single device can do so on our consumer website: www.homemed.com.au
- To find a nearest store, simply type in your postcode or suburb/state. (We recommend calling ahead to confirm availability)