Portable Cough Assist Device- Pegaso A- Cough Perc
Pegaso A-Cough Perc – Cough Assist Device
BMedical is the Exclusive Australian Distributor for Cough Assistance Therapy Devices- PEGASO PLUS from Dima Italia- the market leaders for airway clearance and cough assistance therapy.
For eligible NDIS patients, the cost of a Pegaso Cough Assist with IPV is covered by the NDIS. Your Respiratory Physio/Care Team can help you apply for both the funding through NDIS. Please contact BMedical (details below) for more details or for details of experienced Respiratory Physios in your area.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: 1300 767 279
The PEGASO A-COUGH PERC is the hospital version of the PEGASO family. PEGASO Plus is the home version offering a 3-hour battery for portability. Both devices are suitable for both adults and pediatrics. Mechanically assisted cough devices are used in patients with an impaired cough to avoid secretion accumulation. These devices sequentially apply positive and negative (subatmospheric) pressure to the airway, creating a pressure gradient to promote a peak expiratory flow (PEF) sufficient to remove secretions from the large airways.
Pegaso A-Cough Perc and Pegaso Plus are the only devices that offer both stand-alone percussion/IPV (Intrapulmonary Percussive Ventilation) and a cough assist within the same device that helps clears retained broncho-pulmonary secretions, reducing the risk of respiratory complications.
Pegaso Percussion/IPV uniquely offers negative IE ratios on the percussor waveform. Numerous clinical studies have shown that IE ratios of 1.6:1 and higher are effective in moving mucus from the smaller peripheral airways to the larger airways where they can be cleared using a Normal Cough, Assisted Cough, or Suction.
Percussion/IPV has proved to be very effective in patients who have lung secretion management issues usually combined with greatly reduced or paralysed muscle ability such as:
- Neuromuscular – Muscular Dystrophy / Atrophy
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- SMA – (Spinal muscular atrophy)
- TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury)
- Lung Transplant
For these patient groups, respiratory infections are the greatest cause of hospital admissions. When admitted they are usually very labour intensive for the respiratory Physios and require lots of Respiratory Physio to clear their airways. Pegaso Percussion is a very effective physio tool to mobilise secretions. Most patients will have 2- 5min of Percussive IPV followed by a Cough Assist session to clear the mobilised secretions. If coughing becomes too hard for patients, doctors often prescribe the use of Cough Assist Therapy. This blows in an inspiratory pressure breath followed rapidly by an expiratory flow. By applying gradual positive pressure ((insufflation) to the airway followed by a rapid shift to negative pressure or exsufflation (via a facemask, mouthpiece or a tracheostomy tube) an expiratory flow from the lungs simulates a natural coughing process to remove the secretions. This technique avoids airway damage and offers an option to a more invasive procedure while substantially offering patients greater comfort and quality of life.
- Simple | Safe & Effective Respiratory Therapy
- Percussion and 4 Cough Assist Modes
- Automatic Cough Assist
- Manual Cough Assist
- Auto- Adaptive Easy Start – Synchronises the first Insufflation cycle with the patient’s call; continues following cycles in Automatic Cough Assist Mode
- Auto- Adaptive Auto-Synch – Synchronises Insufflation with the patient’s efforts.
- Percussion – IPPV positive Pressure Ventilation (High Frequency Positive Pressure Ventilation) – 0-70cmH2O, 50 to 600BPM and uniquely 5.0:1 to 1:5.0 IE Ratio.
- The internal battery allows up to 3 days of individual therapy
- Portable size and lightweight (3.2 kg)
- Inspiratory volume visualisation during cough assist therapy
- SpO2 monitoring (optional)
- Removes secretions from the lungs
- Reduces the occurrence of respiratory complications
- Safe, non-invasive alternate therapy compared to suctioning
- Easy for caregivers/caretakers to operate.
- Clears airways for longer periods of time than tracheal suctioning and with fewer complications.
- Less irritating, less painful, less tiring, and less uncomfortable than tracheal suctioning.
- Expels approx. 29% more mucus than deep suctioning.
What should you consider before prescribing/recommending the Pegaso A-Cough Perc?
- If a patient unable to cough or clear secretions effectively due to reduced peak cough expiratory flow (below 3 liters per second), resulting from high spinal cord injuries, neuromuscular deficits or severe fatigue associated with intrinsic lung disease is an ideal candidate for the Pegaso A-Cough Perc.
How is the Pegaso A-Cough Perc used?
The Pegaso A-Cough Perc is versatile enough to be used with a face mask or mouthpiece Additionally, it can work with an adapter to a patient’s endotracheal or tracheostomy tube. It is also safe enough to be used on both adult and pediatric patients at home or in a hospital/institutional environment and is a non-invasive respiratory therapy that safely removes secretions from patients suffering from an ineffective ability to cough. The device clears secretions by gradually applying positive pressure to the airway, then rapidly shifting to negative pressure. The rapid shift in pressure produces high expiratory flow, simulating a natural cough.